I hope you all are having a fantastic summer. My family and I have had a fantastic time enjoying the weather in Iowa over the past week. There has been an abnormal amount of market news for the summer season, including the largest one-day dollar loss in market value for a single company in history (Facebook) . Please read the Monthly Economic Update for my latest market views and commentary.
I will continue to do my part, feel free to reach out to me if you would like to chat or have any financial questions, I am in your service.
Monthly Economic Update
This information has been designed to give you an idea of my short term market view. I also wrote a piece on the Tariff conversation. That can be seen on my blog by clicking “Tariff Talk” below.
What Job does your financial adviser do for you? This article drives home the point of working with an advisor who understands your individual situation. I believe a big problem in the industry is the advisor that has 500+ clients and doesn’t understand each of their client’s specific needs, risk tolerance, desires, etc.
Lockwood Financial Strategies – Can’t Miss Events
Saturday, September 29th 7:30 PM
Henry Rollins Travling Slideshow
(Hoyt Sherman Place)
Rollins encountered, every shot a punchline he could barely contain. The stories bounced around between funny and gut-wrenching reality that kept the seated audience on their toes.
The shots generally depicted people he met, places with a past, yet very few landscapes, the general zenith to photographic achievement: “I don’t like taking landscape shots,” Rollins said, “landscape shots don’t hit back, there’s no people behind it.”
Password: Email Plockwood@parklandrep.com for password
Sizzling Summer Recipe
Avocado toast….try this Rustic TomatoToast
- 1/2 (17.3 oz.) box frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
- 1 Fresh Thyme large egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, divided
- 12/ cup Fresh Thyme extra virgin olive oil
- 12/ tsp. minced garlic
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Fresh Thyme fine sea salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Balsamic glaze, optional
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min, Cook: 17 min • SERVES 8
1. Preheat oven to 400 F (or preheat grill); see below. Unfold pastry and place on piece of parchment paper. Roll pastry to 10×12 inches. Transfer to a baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to score a 1⁄2-inch border along pastry edge. Generously prick pastry inside border with a fork.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Brush pastry with egg mixture. Bake pastry for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven.
3. In a blender, combine 1 cup fresh basil leaves, olive oil, and garlic. Cover and blend until smooth. Brush pastry with 2 Tbsp. basil oil. Refrigerate leftover oil up to one week. (It’s a tasty dipper for crusty bread.) 4. Add a layer of mozzarella slices and tomato slices. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes more or until the crust is golden brown.
Grill It: Prepare charcoal or gas grill for indirect high-heat cooking (400oF). Roll pastry into a 10×12-inch rectangle on two layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Score 1/2-inch border along pastry edge; prick pastry generously with fork. Continue with Step 2 (above). Place foil with pastry on grill. Cover and cook for about 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from grill. Brush with 2 Tbsp. basil oil. Add a layer of mozzarella slices and tomato slices; grill 5 minutes. Finish with Step 5 (below).
5. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, if desired. Top with remaining 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaves.
Each serving contains: 284 calories, 20 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 43 mg cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrates, 1 g ber, 2 g sugar, 9 g protein. Daily values: 11% vitamin A, 8% vitamin C, 16% calcium, 6% iron.
Monthly Video for Introspection
All of us have work to do. Each one of us showed up to contribute something to life. The affect you have on others is the most valuable currency there is. Don’t ever let fear turn you against your playful heart!
I am going to personally look for and delivery on an opportunity to “be change” this month. I will report back in next month’s newsletter. Be on the lookout!
Book of the month
It has been at least 5 years since I have read a fictional book. I am always reading business or motivational books. I realized the other day I have lost a lot of the creative nature I had as a child and in my 20’s. As a result, I challenged myself and finished a 289-page fictional book in 3 nights! I can’t say it was the best book I have ever read but it was one of the most creatively written books. I’ll give a little warning that there are plenty of dark moments in the book as it is based in a post-apocalyptic world.
Philip Lockwood | Founder + Managing Partner
Address:3100 Ingersoll Ave. Des Moines, IA 50312
Website: Lockwood Financial Strategies
Securities offered through Parkland Securities, LLC, member FINRA (FINRA.org) and SIPC (SIPC.org). Investment Advisory services offered through SPC, a Registered Investment Advisor. Lockwood Financial Strategies, LLC is independent of Parkland Securities, LLC and SPC